Sunday 1 December 2013

Live: Pixies, 21/11/2013 and Slint, 28/11/2013

It's been quite a productive week, gig-wise. I've seen two bands I thought I'd never get to see, two of my all-time favourites who both changed the way I listened to music, both figuratively and literally. The Pixies turned me from classic rock and metal to the world of alternative music and Slint were among the bands that made me start appreciating albums as a whole, rather than picking and choosing songs, like so many people do these days. Both gigs more or less blew my tiny little lizard brain and left me in awe, feeling inspired again to play and create music. The least I can do is praise them with a little prose.


First off was the Pixies. I was somewhat hesitant about seeing them, as their tour started soon after original bassist/vocalist Kim Deal departed, the first lineup change in their 25-year-plus career, and as almost any Pixies fan will tell you, she was an incredibly vital part of their songs and style. Replacing her is another Kim, this one with the second name Shattuck, a veteran musician herself; she'd fronted the poppy punk band The Muffs throughout the 90's and played with The Pandoras as early as 1985, before the Pixies had even formed. Obviously, I had my reservations, but it's clear that the remaining band members had picked a musician with experience and talent to fill the tricky spot; although her presence was reduced compared to Kim's and her bass tone not as punchy, her vocals were more or less spot on. This, however, proved to be mostly irrelevant since the audience acted as the primary backing vocalists, the most notable example being Where Is My Mind?. The band ripped through nearly forty songs in two hours; a real tour-de-force show that showcased their dedication to their music and of course their considerable talents, both individually and as a unit. They left most of their big numbers for the last third or so of the show, playing some fan-favourites in the first hour, tracks such as Cactus, Mr. Grieves and Ana alongside some of their new material, and in the latter part of the show they blazed into a winning combo of Gouge Away, Wave of Mutilation, Rock Music and Debaser, leaving everyone considerably more tired but equally exhilarated. The new stuff worked surprisingly well; playing Bagboy and everything off of EP1, as well as the recently-debuted Blue Eyed Hexe and the all-new Magdalena 318, the songs sounded fresh and welcome, a sign of a band renewed and happy with a new direction.

Showmanship wise, the Pixies were on top form. I had no idea Joey had so much potential to be a 'Guitar God' on stage, but when he confidently strode up centre-stage during Vamos and shot us all with his pickup selector, there wasn't a person there who wasn't mindblown. His skill as a noise guitarist within a rock setting is a major part of the band, and has been since their first releases, but I wasn't expecting the sheer weirdness he exuded, at one point even sticking his guitar's jack lead into his mouth and fucking with the signal to highly surreal and entertaining effect, as well as classics such as playing with the guitar behind his head. Black Francis has come a long way vocally since the Surfer Rosa days, but never wandered too far from the original melodies, and his screams are more rapturous/torturous than ever, and as for David Lovering, what can you say, he's just a great drummer who's brilliant to watch live, and his vocals on La La Love You were just perfect. It was a band in their second prime, as it were. I am still somewhat disappointed in myself for not catching them still with Kim Deal in the band, but the Breeders are perhaps the best way to see her live anyway, and they are still touring too, so it's nothing to really get worked up about. If, you have any reservations about seeing, like I did, then keep them in your pocket and catch them next time you can; they're one of the best rock experiences gigging today.


Slint was an altogether very different experience. All the mindless testosterone pseudo-moshing was absent, everyone seemed a lot more mindful of their fellow gig-goers, and although one dick did shout "Play 'Freebird'" – I mean, really? – it was a much more involved and personal event. Of course, the music is very different to the mildly pop-influenced, thrashy alternative rock of the Pixies. With their dark, slow and brooding music, Slint took to the stage for an hour and twenty and gave me, and many others there, a musical epiphany. I remember talking to a man afterwards, and the sum of our discussion was, well, "what now?" – i.e, where does one go after such an event? It was everything it should have been. In terms of musical genius, these guys are peerless in their niche. I know all this might sound like deluded hyperbole, and admittedly I never saw Drive Like Jehu or Tortoise live, but for a band that wrote a paltry amount of incredible songs over twenty years ago, Slint prove to still be a powerhouse on stage.

Today, the original members are vocalist/guitarist Brian McMahan (who reminded me vaguely of a slimmer, introverted Kevin Smith), guitarist David Pajo, and drummer/vocalist Britt Walford. I was excited to see Walford in particular due to his contributions to the Breeders' debut album POD, and was surprised to find out he was a vocalist as well as a drummer. It surprised me even more when he picked up a guitar and sang Don, Aman, one of my most prized songs of all time. His style is pretty much the same as McMahan's, so it's no surprise I got them mixed up originally. Joining the trio were... a bassist and a part-time guitarist. I have no idea when the bassist started touring with them, but it was likely around their first few reunions earlier last decade. The accompanying guitarist was pretty young, and it was his first show with them. Both supporting musicians played the songs to the note, so there was literally nothing to mar my enjoyment of the show. It was enlightening watching Pajo play his stuff in person, seeing how he plays some of the weirder parts of the songs, and how unique his take on harmonics is. Watching Slint completely reinvigorated my interest in playing music, and the desire to create, or rather attempt to create, a style that is unique and interesting, musically complex but also not pretentious or arrogant.

And thus ends a great year of shows; the first year I actually set out to see as many of my favourite artists as I could, and didn't do too badly, racking up Dinosaur Jr. twice, Texas Is The Reason, Blondie, the Pixies and finally Slint, although I'm still bitter about Hop Farm Festival cancelling and thus destroying my chances of seeing My Bloody Valentine for the next however long they'll take before they do anything again. I'd also like to point out the support bands for the Pixies and Slint, who were the Jezabels; a dreamy indie-ish band, and Lucinda Chua; the eponymous solo project of a member of the band Felix, who was accompanied by some very talented musicians and who played very stripped back, atmospheric and orchestral music.

No comments:

Post a Comment